Today is all about fitness. I truly believe that December is one of the most fun months all year. I LOVE the holidays and embrace it all. The family traditions, the baking delicious holiday cookies, spending time with loved one, making special meals, holiday parties…I could go on and on and on. BUT just because we’re having fun and enjoying each other doesn’t mean that we need to be unhealthy. I want December to be like every other month. While I know, I do let loose a bit, I make sure I do stay on top of my fitness.
What does that look like? Well, it looks like every other day for me. I’m not doing 3x as much exercise to punish myself from a cookie I eat. What I come across ALL the time with my health coaching clients is that they have an all or nothing attitude. They end up eating 10 cookies just because they started with one. Or they think they need to commit to 2 hours of working out a day, 6 times a week.
Guys! That’s not sustainable. You have to figure out how to make it WORK for you. For me, this is 30-40 minute work outs, 6 days a week. (Currently doing 21 day fix extreme.) This is manageable for me and I ENJOY it. I can do this for the rest of my life.
So how can we make fitness a priority for you to? How can we fit it in in this crazy, crazy time of year? How can we make it work, without feeling like we need to do 2 hours a day?
- Do you have to do some shopping? I know online shopping is SO easy, BUT mall walking is a THING. Go walk around the mall and shop and you’ll get some great steps in. Take the stairs instead of the escalator. Go drop bags off to the car.
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier. I KNOW, I KNOW. You’re tired…but guess what? You’ll be LESS tired if you wake up and fit in exercise. Can’t get in 30 minutes? Try 10-15 minutes. IT COUNTS!!
- Have a lunch date with a friend? Why not make it a date to spin class? Or a walking date? Or a barre class date? Have coffee after. I bet your friend would love to do both too!
- Park farther away. If you’re out doing errands, park towards the back of the lot. Do this a few times, that’s extra steps!
- Family fitness challenge! My three year old LOVES doing dvds with me. She will usually join me for a few moves, then color, then join me, then color, etc. BUT it gets EVERYONE up and moving!
- Do a ten minute workout when you wake up, go for a walk at lunch, do a 10 minute workout when you get home. We ALL have 10 minutes, so stop saying that 10 minutes isn’t enough!
- Pre-schedule your workouts. This is why I love a comprehensive workout program. There’s no spending 20 minutes just figuring out what you’re going to do. It’s already planned for you. If you don’t have one, then INVEST in one! 21 day fix extreme is only around $40 for 8 DIFFERENT workouts.
- Dance party while decorating your house. Keep it moving. Jump. Dance. Spin. It all counts!
- Don’t subscribe to the idea that you need to do 150 minutes of cardio for those cookies you ate. Do consistent exercise daily. Take a rest day. Be kind to your body. Have 1-2cookies and stop. They don’t even taste good after that!
- ENJOY YOURSELF. Fitness isn’t a jail sentence. It’s meant to be fun. Try out a program for 3 weeks. If you don’t like it, try out another one. You’re not a quitter if you don’t like something!
What do you think? How are you going to stay motivated through the holidays?
2 things for you to check out!
- My holiday FIT-MAS challenge! Sign up here to join us! You’ll get a December Fitness calendar, win big PRIZES and have accountability! I’m all about the December fun!
- Check out my holiday gift guides with HUGE giveaways for Blissful Eats! The Fitness Lover AND the Paleo FOODIE!
Ultimate Guide to Increasing Your Income As a Food Blogger NOW
Download this guide so you can plan your next source of income without relying on page views or sponsored posts.