Are you wanting to start a business, but hesitating? What’s stopping you?
I listen to a lot of podcasts and do some type of personal development daily. A few years ago, I told myself I didn’t have time for any personal development, but about 4 months ago I made a huge mind shift. You HAVE to make time for personal development if you want to get better, be better, do better. It’s actually a requirement.
As a business owner/entrepreneur, often I hear friends/readers/family doubting themselves. People say to me all the time, “I couldn’t do what you do” or “you’re a real entrepreneur, I’m not”. Guys, I’m JUST like you. I’m not any better or different. I’m still learning and growing, every single day. You CAN do what you want to do. You CAN follow your passion. There’s no difference between me and you.
There wasn’t some magical dust that was sprinkled over me to make me start my own business. I wasn’t “lucky” and I didn’t come into a crap ton of money to start my business. I made a plan and I did it. I failed and I got back up again. I am doing it and so can you. I’ll fail again and that’s okay. As long as you learn from it, then you’ll do that much better next time.Failure doesn't stop success, fear does. What's stopping you? Click To Tweet
You need to make a mind set shift and it’s not going to happen over night. Stop saying, “I wish, I hope, one day.” Take those out of your vocabulary. Start speaking in the now. Stop saying “I would start my own business or I would do “xx” if I had the money.” Start speaking in the positive and say, “let’s make a plan to save xx amount of dollars” or “let’s make a plan to buy a new computer” etc. I KNOW it’s not easy. Our default is to say “I can’t afford that” but it’s affecting your whole life. If it’s important to you, make it work.
What are your fears with starting your own business? Is it that you won’t be good enough? Is it you don’t have enough training? None of that is true. You just have to start. Sometimes we take for granted what we know a lot about. Take the first step and get out there. The only way you will learn and get better is to get out there and start. I literally knew nothing about starting a food company when I started.
My best advice for steps to take to starting your own business:
- Do 30 day push. Seriously. Do this. It’s 1000000000% free.
- Download podcasts. (Build my Tribe, Michael Hyatt, Lewis Howes, Entrepreneur on Fire, Build a Badass Business.)
- Get on periscope and follow awesome people. (Chalene Johnson, Kim Garst, Michael Hyatt, Nicole Walters, Kelly Olexa, Amanda Tress.)
- Find a mentor and ask questions. (This is HUGE. Ideally, you’ll find an in real life mentor AND a virtual mentor. My in person mentor is Amanda Tress. My virtual mentor is Chalene Johnson.
- Make a pro and cons list. What is worst case scenario? You leave your job and you go back if your business doesn’t work? You leave your job and you’re happier? You stay at your job and continue to be miserable?
- Light a fire under your butt and change your life.
If you want to be motivated:
- 50 Inspiring Quotes for overcoming the fear of failure
- How Fear Keeps Us Stuck
- Overcoming the Fear of Failure
- Stop Worrying About Failure
If you want to learn more about starting your own business in health and fitness, check out my page here and contact me to get started. I’m SO passionate about helping other moms support their families.
What are your biggest starting a business questions? I would love to hear them and help you find the answers.
I’m putting together an e-book on how to get started in the food business, so leave your questions here or email them to me. Don’t forget to sign up for my email list to stay updated!
P.S. I would REALLY love you if you shared this post. It means a lot to me!
Ultimate Guide to Increasing Your Income As a Food Blogger NOW
Download this guide so you can plan your next source of income without relying on page views or sponsored posts.